IIT JAM Geology (GG) Exam 2018. The JAM Geology 2018 online examination will be held on February as Computer Based Test (GG). For Application Form, Admission /Notification, Result, Admit Card, Please refer to IIT JAM 2018 Exam.
IIT JAM Geology Exam 2018
- This Geology test paper has a total of 60 questions carrying 100 marks. The entire question paper is dividedinto three sections, A, B and C. All sections are compulsory. Questions in each section are of different types.
Geology (GG) Section – A
- Section – A contains Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ). Each MCQ type question has four choices out of which only one choice is the correct answer. This section has 30 Questions and carry a total of 50 marks. Q.1 – Q.10 carry 1 mark each and Questions Q.11 – Q.30 carry 2 marks each.
Geology (GG) Section – B
- Section – B contains Multiple Select Questions (MSQ). Each MSQ type question is similar to MCQ but with a difference that there may be one or more than one choice(s) that are correct out of the four given choices. The candidate gets full credit if he/she selects all the correct choices only and no wrong choices. This section has 10 Questions and carry 2 marks each with a total of 20 marks.
Geology (GG) Section – C
- Section – C contains Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions. For these NAT type questions, the answer is a real number which needs to be entered using the virtual numerical keypad on the monitor. No choices will be shown for these type of questions. This section has 20 Questions and carry a total of 30 marks. Q.1 – Q.10 carry 1 mark each and Questions Q.11 – Q.20 carry 2 marks each.
Geology (GG) Negative Marking
- Section – A (MCQ): wrong answer will result in NEGATIVE marks. For all 1 mark questions, 1/3 marks will be deducted for each wrong answer. For all 2 marks questions, 2/3 marks will be deducted for each wrong answer.
- In Section – B (MSQ), there is NO NEGATIVE and NO PARTIAL marking provisions. There is NO
NEGATIVE marking in Section – C (NAT) as well.
IIT JAM Geology GG Syllabus
- The Planet Earth: Origin of the Solar System and the Earth; Geosphere and the composition of the Earth; Shape and size of the earth; Earth-moon system; Formation of continents and oceans; Dating rocks and age of the Earth; Energy in the earth system; Volcanism and volcanic landforms; Interior of earth; Earthquakes; Earth’s magnetism and gravity, Isostasy; Elements of Plate tectonics; Orogenic cycles.
- Geomorphology: Weathering and erosion; Transportation and deposition due to wind, ice, river, sea, and resulting landforms, Structurally controlled landforms.
- Structural Geology: Concept of stratum; Contour; Outcrop patterns; Maps and cross sections; Dip and strike; Classification and origin of folds, faults, joints, foliation and lineation, unconformities; shear zones.
- Palaeontology: Major steps in the evolution of life forms; Fossils; their mode of preservation and utility; Morphological characters, major evolutionary trends and ages of important groups of animals – Brachiopoda, Mollusca, Trilobita, Graptolitoidea, Anthozoa, Echinodermata; Gondwana plant fossils; Elementary idea of verterbrate fossils in India.
- Stratigraphy: Principles of stratigraphy; Litho-, chrono- and biostratigraphic classification; distribution and classification of the stratigraphic horizons of India from Archaean to Recent.
- Mineralogy: Symmetry and forms in common crystal classes; Physical properties of minerals; Isomorphism and polymorphism, Classification of minerals; Structure of silicates; Mineralogy of common rock-forming minerals; Mode of occurrence of minerals in rocks. Transmitted polarised light microscopy and optical properties of uniaxial and biaxial minerals.
- Petrology: Definition and classification of rocks; Igneous rocks-forms of igneous bodies; Crystallization from magma; classification, association and genesis of igneous rocks; Sedimentary rocks – classification, texture and structure; size and shape of sedimentary bodies. Metamorphic rocks – classification, facies, texture and properties.
- Economic Geology: Properties of common economic minerals; General processes of formation of mineral deposits; Physical characters; Mode of occurrence and distribution in India both of metallic and non-metallic mineral deposits; Coal and petroleum occurrences in India.
- Applied Geology: Ground Water; Mineral exploration, elements of Mining Geology and Environmental Geology; Principles of Engineering Geology.
IIT JAM Geology Eligibility
|M.Sc. Applied Geology||IITB, IITR||Bachelor’s degree with Geology as a subject for three years/six semesters and any two subjects among Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and Biological Science. The candidate should have passed Mathematics at Higher Secondary (10+2) level.|
|Joint M.Sc.- Ph.D. in Geology||IITKgp|
|Joint M.Sc.- Ph.D. in Geophysics||IITKgp|
|M.Sc.- Ph.D. Dual Degree in AppliedGeology||IITB|
|Joint M.Sc.- Ph.D. in Geology||IITBBS||Bachelor’s degree with Geology as a subject forthree years/six semesters and any two subjects among Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry.The candidate should have passed Mathematics at Higher Secondary (10+2) level.|
|Joint M.Sc.- Ph.D in Atmosphere andOcean Sciences||IITBBS||Bachelor’s degree with Mathamatics andPhysics and any one of these subjects amongChemistry, Computer Science, ComputerApplication, Geology and Statistics.|
Old Question Papers
JAM Geology Previous Year Question Papers with answer keys
- Here you can find all of the IIT JAM Geology previous year question papers answers are free of cost students can download these papers for Science Entrance preparation. This Year on 2016 IIT JAM Geology written test was conducted , the paper is available with us. Any Candidates who has Last IIT JAM Geology 10 to 20 Years previous solution can share with us.
Solution / Answer Keys
IIT JAM Geology Model Papers 2018:
- JbigDeaL provides Sample Question Papers with answers for 2018 for IIT JAM Geology (GG) Test Exam 2018 along with a question bank. Some of the question may be from out of syllabus. This sample papers doesn’t means to actual paper. Its just for better preparation and test you knowledge in IIT JAM Geology related exams.
IIT JAM Geology Mock Test:
- IIT JAM MCQ Geology Questions Answers for Science Test. This mock test having 25 question each, with four choices. On each click on answers system will tell you where the answers is correct or incorrect. There many online practice set of IIT JAM GG question answers quiz.
- START Online Mock Test
JAM Geology Books / Study Materials:
- There are so many books for IIT JAM Geology (GG) 2018 exam preparation, but i must say you should have latest two types of book one for JAM Geology Last 10 or 20 years question with solution and another book is for Geology 2018 syllabus wise subjects description and solution. We have found some best books in online you can check below.
IIT JAM GG 2018 Books
IIT JAM GG 2018 Study Materials
Last Updated on by