TUEE 2017 Tezpur University M.Sc in Physics Admission & Entrance Exam 2016 M.Sc in Physics Previous Year Model Question Papers.
MSc. IN PHYSICS
Model Questions for Entrance Examination
Full Marks : 100 Time : 2 hours
Syllabus: B.Sc. Physics (Honours) syllabus of any Indian University Entrance test has two parts, Part A and Part B of 50 marks each and is of a total duration of 2 hours.
- Part A consists of 50 objective type questions of one mark each. Duration for this part is one hour.
- Part B consists of short descriptive type questions to examine the conceptual clarity and reasoning ability of the candidate. The candidate is required to attempt any 5 questions of 10 marks each out of about 10 given questions.
Typical questions for Part A and Part B are given below:
PART – A
- Excitons are
(a) excited electrons in pairs (b) neutron-proton pairs
(c) bound electron-electron pairs (d) bound electron-hole pairs
- Hamiltonian formalism is easier to handle than Lagrangian formalism because Hamiltonian formalism involves
(a) first order differential equations
(b) generalized momentum instead of generalized co-ordinates
(c) only cartesian co-ordinates
(d) no time derivatives
- An electric potential field is produced by joint charges 1 mC and 4 mC located at (-2, 1, 5) and (1, 3, -1) respectively. The energy stored in the field is
(a) 2.57 mJ (b) 5.14 mJ
(c) 0.28 mJ (d) 20.56 mJ
- Which of the following potentials does not satisfy the Laplace’s equation?
(a) V = 2x + 5 (b) V = 10 xy
(c) V = 2x2y + 5x + 2 (d) V = 3y + 10
- The expression which implies the nonexistence of magnetic monopoles is
(a) Ñ x E = -¶B/¶t (b) Ñ.B = 0
(c) Ñ x B = m0J (d) Ñ.J + ¶r/¶t = 0
PART – B
- Starting from the Langragian equation, prove that the equation of motion a simple pendulum is .. g θ + — sin θ = 0 l
where θ, g and 1 are angular displacement, acceleration due to gravity and length of the string respectively.
- Find the energy release, if two 1H2 nuclei fuse together to form 2He4 nucleus where the binding energies per nucleon of 1H2 and 2He4 are 1.1 MeV and 7.0 MeV respectively.
- The electrostatic potential due to a certain charge distribution is given by the expression :
V(x, y, z) = – (x2yz + xy2z + xyz2) volts
Calculate the electric field and charge density at the point (2, 1, 3)
- A half wave rectifier uses load resistor RL = 8kW and shunt filter capacitor of 12mF. The sinusoidal input voltage is 20sin2p50t. The angle of conduction is 400. Assuming the rectifier to be ideal (Rf = 0, Rp = ¥) calculate :
1) dc load current Idc
2) dc output voltage Vdc
3) ripple voltage VR
4) ripple factor y (cos 400 = 0.7660)
- (i) Explain which of the following nuclear reactions are allowed or forbidden.
(ii) Draw the energy level diagram showing anomalous Zeeman effect. Can it be explained by classical theory ? Explain.